Friday, January 11, 2008

Are we ready?

Last night I asked K if her biological clock was ticking. She said no, was mine? I said that I don't believe in biological clocks. Though I don't know what people feel when they say their clocks are ticking, I think it's a social construct. So then the question is, are we ready? I said yes, I am ready. I feel like we are in a holding zone now. We've done everything we've wanted to do, so now it's time for the next step. There are always more things to do. We'd love to travel more, for example. But there's always going to be more things to do, so you have to pick a time. I'm as ready as I'll ever be, I think.

K said she's not necessarily ready, but feels time ticking away. She'd like to focus on other things right now, like getting a new job. But she feels like she'll always want a new job, because she's always changing. So we can't wait for her to feel settled because she probably won't, ever. So she's probably as ready as she'll ever be. She knows she wants kids and doesn't want to wait until it's too late to do anything about it.

I don't know if anybody ever really has that - this is it! - moment, or if you just decide, yeah, it's probably time. We both definitely want kids, and this is a good time to have them, and we are excited about having a little baby of our own. So yeah, we're ready.

No comments: