Monday, April 20, 2009

36 week midwife appointment

This morning was our 36 week appointment. I've gained a total of 21 pounds so far, but 4 pounds in the past two weeks. Actually, I know that I gained it all in the first week and none in the second week. The midwife was a little concerned and suggested I drink lemon in my water, eat lots of watermelon, and soak in a warm bath each evening for 30 minutes. My uterus is now measuring 36 cm, which is also a lot of growth. 2 weeks ago, it was only 32.5 cm.

This week starts the weekly appointments and the vaginal exams. I haven't had to take my pants off at these appointments for months, but this week I did. She said my cervix is still closed but it is 40-50% effaced, so it's certainly preparing for birth. She did a quick ultrasound and confirmed that the baby was head down and in the right position for birth. So we are good to go.

We went through the birth plan and what to do if I go into labor. From this point on, if I went into labor, they wouldn't try to stop it since I'm close enough to the due date. She said to call if there is any spotting, any water breaking (even just a trickle), or contractions 5 minutes apart for an hour. In the next few weeks I should be sitting cross-legged to loosen the hips, practice squatting if I can, and sitting on the birth ball. Also, I should start taking Evening Primrose Oil, doing perineal massages to loosen things up down there, and keeping a daily log of the baby's movement. Lots of info to absorb.

After my appointment I came to a nice surprise waiting at my office. A coworker left a bathtime gift set. A very sweet surprise.

We spent the weekend checking things off of our to-do list. Friday night - we went swimming, which was something really important to K - to swim with me in my huge state. It felt pretty good, so we may go again next weekend. Also Friday night, we finished the birth plan just in time for our appointment today. Saturday - cleaned the nursery and hallway and finished all baby laundry. Sunday - cleaned hall bath and stocked up on supplies at grocery store. Now we have tons of toilet paper and frozen food - we spent about $350 between Safeway and Trader Joe's. But we won't have to go to a grocery store for a long time hopefully. But the way I'm peeing we may need more toilet paper sooner than later. We also learned to use our video camera, so we're all set to record that birth! It feels good checking these things off of our list.

K talked to her mom yesterday, which is always annoying. She doesn't like the name we chosen for our daughter if we have one. She would be named after K's grandma, which you would think K's mom would love. But she says, very authoritavely, "I never liked that name, don't name her that. I like the name Rama, that's what you should name her." We don't like the name Rama, it's not special to us like the name we chose, but thanks for your advice. It's not up for discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how close you are! Not much longer at all now!