Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Peeing in a cup


I went to the lab to get my blood work done today for my upcoming physical. I didn't know I would have to pee in a cup. I got up early in the morning (6am), peed, got ready for work and left home at 6:40 - no eating, no drinking. I got there and they said 'here, go pee in this cup'. Umm, okay, I'll try... I forced out a trickle. The nurse laughed a little and told me to try again. She said she couldn't draw blood until I peed - it's the rules! So I went in the waiting room and forced down lots of water. As much as I could without being sick. And then when I felt it building up, I tried again, and only did a little better. I think I filled the cup with about 1-2 cm of pee. I felt like I was going to throw up from all of the water, but that's all I could squeeze out. The nurse said 'I still don't think this is enough, but we'll give it a try' and then lucky me, it was just enough to fill the two vials. Then she quickly drew my blood and I drove less than 5 minutes to work, and as I'm riding up in the elevator, I thought 'Wow, I really have to pee'. I went into the bathroom and had a nice, respectable pee. And I've peed about 4 times in the two hours since then.

I've always been this way. I get peeing stage fright. I remember once in high school the nurse knocked on the door and asked if I was okay because I had been in the bathroom so long. When K and I were first together, the first time she came into the bathroom with me, I stopped peeing. I was like, 'what are you doing? I can't pee with you in here!' She wouldn't leave and eventually I got used to her being there.

I was surprised at how much blood they took today - like 6-7 vials full. That's like giving blood but they don't give you a cookie and drink afterwards. A friend at work asked if I was feeling okay and said I look tired. At least it's over. Hopefully the tests are conclusive and we can order some sperm!

No comments: