Thursday, March 20, 2008

Indian food

Our family is half Indian, and our child will-be half Indian, so we think it's important to include some Indian culture in our lives. K doesn't cook but wants our kids to grow up with at least some of the food she grew up with, so I've been trying to learn. I've taken two classes and have had mini-lessons from K's mom, grandma, and two aunties. Our dog walker has offered to come over for a lesson as well. I'm not bad, people say they like my food, though I do have trouble with the breads. Tonight we are having a neighbor over for Spinach, Eggplant Bharta, and Potato Suki-Bhaji.

One thing I don't have a good recipe for is dahl. K doesn't really like dahl. But she thinks it's important because it's what you give to babies. You need to start babies out with spicy food so they can handle it later - Indian people do not feed their babies bland food. So I was at Whole Foods last night and noticed in the freezer section a line of frozen baby food that includes dahl! Check one more thing off the list - I don't need to learn to make dahl. I do still need to learn roti.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you should still learn to make dahl if you want to be a good Indian wife.

JK said...

Yeah, yeah, I'll still learn. Somehow, I think this post is from my good Indian wife...

Anonymous said...

Interesting about the introduction of spicy food early. That's my plan. I do not want a picky child!! Indian food is my favourite cuisine and I plan on making a lot of it. I need to learn some new tricks though... I stick to the old boring standby of chana masala (yum!)

nutella said...

Baby food dahl? That's awesome!Being raised in good Jewish home I have no idea how to cook with spice. Seriously, when we had guests we actually had to look for the pepper shaker when someone wanted it. If I got our kid to eat spicy food early I wonder if the 2 to 1 vote would allow us to eat Indian food, since my wife doesn't like it? If she reads this I'm in trouble.