Monday, December 8, 2008

My 30th Birthday Party

K threw me a 'Dirty South' birthday party to celebrate the big 3-0. She wanted to honor my southern heritage, so she made traditional southern food - beanie weenies, BBQ chips, banana pudding, coke, Budweiser - and played southern music - country, hip-hop. Everyone brought gifts of 30 - 30 cookies, 30 wishes. She hung up pictures of me through the years looking southern - riding in the back of a pick-up truck, swimming in a lake in my underwear, playing in the dirt. And our friends came and we had fun. I'm not sure people enjoyed the food as much as I did, but it was my party. And now the celebrations are over and I'm definitely 30.

I was wearing a maternity dress that made me look hugely pregnant - its crazy how maternity clothes do this to you. K had me hold a can of Budweiser in front of my belly - that is truly 'dirty south'! Of course I didn't drink any - Bud tastes like piss. But it's definitely a southern favorite.

Living up here where no one is southern, no one is country, its nice to have a little fun and feel like home. We're not 'dirty south' anymore (K never was). We're just as urban and liberal as the rest of the people here. But I do want our kids to have some of that - it's my heritage just as much as K's is Indian. We do a little - K went camping with me in August, and she's a fan of BBQ sauce now. And we'll do a little more when the baby is born.

No comments: