Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cravings

I don't know if I have cravings, but I have very specific things that I want. I went through a pizza stage, but I think I'm past that. I'm very into oranges right now, but I'm a FL girl who grew up with orange trees in the back yard. I always crave oranges. I usually get oranges for Christmas and my birthday from my family because the ones from FL taste better than the ones in the grocery store, and winter is orange season in FL. So I'm not sure this is a craving, or if it's just me.

But I do get these things where I can almost taste a certain food in my mouth and want it until I finally get it. We went to breakfast at Teaism on Sunday. I kind of wanted french toast, but everyone was raving about the cilantro scrambled eggs, so I got those. They were okay, but the guy I was eating with got the french toast and it looked amazing. I talked about the french toast all day. Monday when I got to work, I went to the cafeteria to get french toast but they were out. I've not gotten french toast yet, and the desire has kind of died down, but it's still there.

The other night I was lying in bed and said that I really wanted a yogurt parfait. We used to make these at home and eat them for breakfast - plain nonfat yogurt, granola, bananas, a combination of organic blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. It tasted so good. I went to work yesterday and bought a strawberry parfait in the cafeteria, but the granola was soggy. I still want a parfait, but a really good one.

Last night traffic was horrible because of the rain. I waited 6 times through the traffic light less than a block from my house. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes for a drive that usually takes 30 minutes. While sitting in the car, I thought about going home and making spaghetti. I thought about what I could add to it. I tasted it in my mouth. When I got home, the jar of sauce in the fridge was bad because I haven't cooked anything since getting pregnant. K said 'that's okay, just make something else.' But I couldn't think of anything else to make. Nothing sounded good. So she helped me to decide on veggie burgers, sweet potato fries, and green beans. It was a good meal, but left me wanting.

K promised the next time we go to the grocery store, we will buy ingredients for all of my food needs. I'm not sure if these are cravings or if I'm just bored with the food we've been eating lately. I feel like cravings should be stronger - like I can't do anything but think of this food. Maybe that's just Hollywood.

No comments: