Thursday, October 16, 2008

Don't tell!


Today I had a class at work with lots of colleagues. The class was 11am - 12:30, followed by lunch. Knowing that eating a late lunch wouldn't sit so well on my tummy, I grabbed my trusty crackers to go with me. As we sat down to lunch, M said, with a knowing twinkle in his eye, "Is there a reason for the Saltines?" to which I replied "Not that I want to talk about here, but I'll tell you later." And then we had this email exchange:

Me: So you know why women eat crackers, right?
M: that's why I was asking…just confirming my suspicions…congratulations!
Me: Thanks! May due date. I'm waiting until after my big review to tell people at work.
M: I've seen enough cracker eating in my day to have bells and whistles go off in my head. I'll keep it hush-hush.

I admit, crackers and a long, baggy shirt are pretty tell-tale signs of pregnancy (though long, baggy shirts are actually in right now and I bought this shirt before I was pregnant). And closer friends are really starting to comment on the size of my breasts. I would like to keep this work secret until Thanksgiving, the time of my annual review, but I can see that it will get harder.

No comments: