Monday, February 2, 2009

Finally ready

Ever since getting pregnant, I've been avoiding all talk of labor. I've been working with a midwife, and said I want to do natural childbirth, and signed up for a childbirth course, but that's where it stopped. When I would think about labor, I would think, 'I'll worry about that later'. Labor made me nervous and I wanted to avoid it.

Well, something changed last week and I decided that I'm ready to learn about labor. Starting slowly of course. I started reading the labor & delivery section of the book Great Expectations. Next I'm going to get these two books from the library, both recommended on our childbirth class's website:

An easier childbirth : a mother's workbook for health and emotional well-being during pregnancy and delivery by Peterson, Gayle H.

Ina May's guide to childbirth by Gaskin, Ina May.

I'm not going to obsess over this because it still stresses me out. But I want to prepare myself. This will be hard, I can do it, but I need to be prepared.

1 comment:

j.k-c. said...

I loved Ina May's book. :) It makes labor and delivery seem to beautiful and natural. Even if it is a little slanted in it's perspective I felt like it helped balance out all the medical model stuff out there.