Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The L Word

On the first episode of the first season of the L Word, Bette and Tina go to the doctor for an insemination. The doctor tells them it works better if Tina is having an orgasm, so Bette gets to work on Tina at the doctors office while Tina is in stirrups. I've had this image in my mind for years. K has always said she's up for the challenge, but I'm not sure I could actually have an orgasm under those conditions.

But now that we are closer to the actual IUI and I've done a lot more research, nothing I've read or heard indicates that this is what would happen during an IUI. I think it's unnecessary because you are putting the sperm directly into the uterus, and the orgasm helps bring the sperm from the vagina to the uterus. I guess the L Word's not based on reality, huh? Another myth shattered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to run that scenario through my head as well. J said she would do it if she had to, but we both agreed it would be difficult. It does seem, though, that the writers of the L Word had their facts crossed. The only time an orgasm is really helpful is for intravaginal insems. For IUI, the sperm is already where it needs to go, so an orgasm is just a bonus!