Thursday, April 3, 2008

Decongestant


I woke up this morning with a dull ache in my right ear. Ear infection? Maybe. Or maybe I'm just congested. I've been off the decongestant now for three months, and I've replaced the drugs with echinacea. After the initial couple of weeks, I've been feeling okay, a little congested, but livable. But now it's spring and there are blossoms and pollen. A real test to my commitment. And now I have an ear ache.

Being off the decongestant has really increased my fertile mucus. In January I didn't notice a change, but in February and March I really did. So I do believe that being off the drugs will help, and that it takes a while to get the drugs out of your system, so I'm not going to go back on the drugs like I was before, taking 2-3 doses of Sudafed a day for years. But today I have an ear ache, and it hurts, and I want to feel better.

So I'm at work, and I start to think, I wonder if I have any Sudafed here? Open my drawer, oh look, it's my old friend. And I get excited. Come to me! I took one dose along with some ibuprofen. If that doesn't work, then I probably have an ear infection, which will require a trip to see my favorite doctor. But right now I'm enjoying breathing. It really feels good.

No comments: