Tuesday, June 17, 2008

CA Marriage


Every time I about Del Martin and Phyllis Lyons getting married after 55 years, I cry. They have been through so much in their lives - from being complete outcasts of society 55 years ago to being fully married yesterday. I'm sure they didn't even dream of marriage 55 years ago, and I'm sure they can't believe that they are married. I can't believe they are married. I am full of so much hope, and I am just so happy for them.


K and I talked last night about running off to CA to get married. We had our wedding ceremony here in MD in 2005. We've had all of our wills and power of attorneys and all of that since 2001. But we're not married. We want to be married. But then, what does it matter? We don't live in CA, so it won't really affect our lives at all. If we run off to CA, it would just be us, none of our friends would be there. And we would miss out on the big celebration and mass weddings when MD finally recognizes marriage. But we would be married, legally married, at least it would be legal some places - CA, MA, NY, maybe RI. K would be my wife, legally. How exciting is that possibility?

No comments: